Pages

Friday, December 26, 2008

Making Goals in Sports



I am really not one to make resolutions for the new year. I always find that most of the time someone will binge on whatever it is they are going to cut back on or give up and then go without come January 1. By mid-February, the "resolution" is in the trash. Personally, I like to make goals regardless of the time of year. In the near future, I have a few sports-related goals that I hope to accomplish. For those of you that have been around here before, you'll probably remember that I wrote about goals in the past. I thought it might be a good time just to reaffirm since part of setting goals is reaffirmation and refocusing, in my opinion. I hope to:

* Get back to training for my first marathon: I am not a distance runner, nor will I ever be. As a brisk walker, I would like to participate in some shorter and then longer marathons. I know I could eventually work up to a respectable pace and I have the stamina to briskly walk for quite some time. Let's see if I can translate that to finishing an actual marathon.

* Get my husband on a snowboard: No, I will not be forcing him to do so, but I am absolutely dying to go! He has never been on a snowboard so I'm going to start with some indoor lessons. There's a place here in town that has a carpet on a conveyor-belt contraption to get your footing. Then we'll do a lesson at a local mountain and we should be good in no time! Wish me luck.

* Lower my golf score and register my handicap: A few trips back to the doctor to fix my shoulder and I should be out of excuses. After that it will be practice, practice, practice! I will be doing some golfing this weekend, in fact.

Do you have any sports goals?

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I'd like to finish a marathon too, but that's not on my agenda for this year. I would really like to break 2 hours for the half marathon this spring instead. I only have to cut 50 seconds so you wouldn't think it would be so hard!

I also want to learn to kayak.

Apryl DeLancey said...

Nice! Oh, I love to kayak - I haven't been in a very long time. I used to go in this part of the Pacific that wound through a neighborhood like "keys". It had the bioluminescent algae that lit up when your oar was in the water. There are some great creeks and rivers in the spring around here too! Now I've got to add that to my list.