Pages

Friday, December 5, 2008

Just Be A Good Sport



Ya know, I really am the person who will let you in front of me in traffic or allow you to get in front of me in line if you've only got two items while I've got a full cart. I really don't see a reason to be completely self-centered and drive like a jerk or make it clear to the world that I think that I am number one.

My week so far has been all give and no take. It just seems like no matter how much I try to "do the right thing" I just can't catch a break. In spite of this, I refuse to give in and be a jerk. Why? We are all here occupying the same space. Is it so important that you inconvenience or even damage those around you in order to save a few seconds in your ever-so-important busy life?

I thought I would just rant today about being a good sport. Being a good sport is not only like the young women in the softball video above, but in life. Anyone can be a jerk. That takes no effort. It takes character to be considerate.

There are plenty of examples and guidelines for good sportsmanship:

The NBA has good sportsmanship in the player's guide.

LaDainian Tomlinson is known for his lack of trash-talking on the field.

Tiger Woods also exhibits grace when playing. Sure, he may throw out a few f-bombs, but he's always a class act.

Why am I going on a rant about sportsmanship? I just had to get it all out and remind myself that no matter how I get treated by others, I will continue to be a good sport on the hiking trail, golf course, mountain, and waves. I refuse to let someone else's behavior dictate mine.

Oh, and a special note to the person that inspired this post: the parking lot that I was in yesterday in which you so selfishly decided to hit my car and take off has working security cameras. In addition, there were several helpful people that are working to help me find you.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Every time I go out in my car, I can assume some idiot will run a red light, switch lanes with no warning or cut me off. I could go on and on about the drivers around here.

Apryl DeLancey said...

Yeah - I just have never been a victim of a hit and run before so I had to vent. I wish everyone would just realize that if we would all be civil and polite then we could all get to our destinations safely and on time!

Crossy said...

Great post! I'm the same way. I'm always pleasant to people because you never know who might end up being your boss one day. Karma is a....(u know the rest!)Sorry to hear about your ax. Whomever hit you will reap what they sow!!

Apryl DeLancey said...

Great way to put it! You just don't know when you'll run into someone again!