Pages

Friday, January 16, 2009

Great Time For Winter Sports!



Most of the US is freezing or has had plenty of snowfall for your favorite winter sport. Although temperatures in the L.A. Basin have been in the 70s and 80s, the mountains are primed for snowboarding, skiing, tubing, etc. The rest of the country has had its fair share of cold and snow so this weekend sounds like a prime time to get on the slopes. I've collected links for different areas that give you the latest updates on the conditions around the country and a couple of International spots:

California Snow looks at the entire state

Ski Tahoe is specific to the Lake Tahoe area

Snow.com covers Colorado resorts

Ski Vermont has information for the whole state

Ski PA tells you where to head in the Keystone State

I Ski NY gives you the ski areas of New York

Canada has a site dedicated to direct you to ski and snowboarding locations

Ski Europe has resources for the hot spots on the continent

From what I understand, there are fun and somewhat dangerous snow activities to do if you live in a flat area and can't get to the mountains. I'm sure I'd be right out there with you sliding on pieces of cardboard/plastic, being pulled behind cars, snowboarding off the top of the house, and other absurd things. But seriously, be careful! Certainly there is a safe place to ice skate or sled? Don't be one of those folks we laugh at on the bloopers shows. Be safe!

What is your favorite thing to do in the snow?

4 comments:

Jan said...

My favorite snow activity is watching the snow caps on the mountains while I am staying warm in the sunny valley.

Apryl DeLancey said...

Nice! I like that one too! I can see the snow from MDR if I look in the right direction!

Lindsay said...

We try to ski and snowboard on large hills here, but, you know...

My favorite thing to do is go sledding down the hills when it's icy. But I'm a wuss and I get scared. I've done the thing where we were pulled behind a Jeep on a tube, but seriously that is just dangerous!

I also like just taking my dog out for walks in the deep snow. That's a workout for us both.

Apryl DeLancey said...

My problem is that I don't get scared going down hills and as I get older that presents issues. I still feel like the "invincible" teenager when I do something like that!

I just realized that my very thick coated dog that is a breed that originated in the French Alps is a giant baby if he gets too cold...he's definitely a California dog so walking him in the snow would probably be hysterical!