Pages

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

How To Stick To Fitness Goals When You Have A Cold



Yeah, as you can guess by today's title I am a bit under the weather. I'm not sure if I have a cold or am just feeling the effects of a massive wipeout that happened on Sunday. Hubby and I both had a flu shot this season but he was laid up last week. I thought I was in the clear but apparently not.

When we get sick or feel under the weather many of us tend to forgo our fitness routine and do whatever it takes to feel better, including eat the wrong thing. Here's a few of my rules for fitness when I feel a bit out of sorts:

1. Cold from the neck up = okay to do workout, chest cold = no workout
2. Drink as much water as possible
3. Don't use being sick as an excuse to indulge on comfort foods or overeat
4. Sriracha cures just about anything
5. A shot of tequila with fresh lemon or lime squeezed in it fends off sinus issues
6. Nothing beats a glass of 50% fresh OJ (not from a carton, FRESH) and 50% carrot juice

Here's a few of my favorite home remedies for colds or sinus issues:

Cyclone Cider

Equal parts: Sriracha, Tabasco, and Ponzu Sauce
Sprinkle in Japanese Pepper
Mix and ideally put in a dropper bottle - take 1mL as needed - keep refrigerated

My Soup

2 cups water
5 mini potatoes, sliced
1 large carrot, sliced
1/4 package baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
1/4 lb peeled and de-veined shrimp, precooked
Sriracha
Tapatio Sauce
Ponzu Sauce
Olive Oil
Japanese Pepper

Bring water and olive oil to a boil and add potatoes and carrots. After about 3-4 minutes reduce flame to medium and add Sriracha, Tapatio, Ponzu, and Japanese Pepper to taste. After another 5-7 minutes, add mushrooms. Let sit for another 5 minutes and add shrimp. Leave sitting until texture is to your liking (a few minutes). Throw it all in a bowl and YUM YUM! All times are approximate as are the spicy sauces. This is really easy to make to your own taste.

Disclaimer: I am not a physician, health professional, or anything of the sort. Follow my recipes and advice at your own risk. Seriously. I can't be responsible for your actions so get advice from your physician or other trusted professional before you try any of my fitness/eating advice. I'm just sharing some of the things I use to stay fit when I feel like dirt instead of overeating or taking a bunch of pills.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

That soup sounds really good! I'm totally going to make that even though I don't feel sick. I love soup!

That tequila shot also sounds good right about now ... it's been a long week!

Apryl DeLancey said...

I'm eating some of it right now! I modify it sometimes also - like I've got pearl and green onions in today and some fresh garlic and red sweet peppers.

A shot of tequila cures quite a bit!