Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

5 Questions About My Fitness Routine



If you've been stopping by for the last few weeks you've noticed that I've been talking about the TTUC or Twitter Trim Up Challenge that my Twitter bud @kokogirl (Lisa) started up and has been blogging about.

Another social media buddy, Mike (Ruthless Golf), asked me to compile all of my previous posts when I post my workout routine and then others emailed me the same sentiment. Make sure you check out Mike's blog link if you're trying to get fit, he's had several posts about fitness lately.

So...by popular demand...

1. First, what are my fitness goals?


As Lisa wrote about recently, goals need to have specific characteristics or we will never attain them. She refers to SMART goals: specific, measurable, agreed upon, realistic, and time sensitive. I first wrote about my goals back on December 28 and how I was going to reach them:

1. Be able to participate in a 20 minute surf competition heat without being so winded that I feel like I am going to pass out.
a. Work on endurance by using elliptical trainer at least 4 times a week
b. Do exercises targeted to the upper body and core
c. Surf at least three times a week

2. Be able to paddle out into the 10 foot faces of my favorite swell and catch waves without taking a 20 minute break in between the two!
a. Work on endurance by using elliptical trainer at least 4 times a week
b. Do exercises targeted to the upper body and core
c. Surf at least three times a week

3. Consistently drive a golf ball 200 then 250 yards (right now I can get 225-240 once or twice a round).
a. Work on endurance by using elliptical trainer at least 4 times a week
b. Do exercises targeted to the upper body and core
c. Practice at the driving range at least twice a week

As you can tell, it all basically boils down to increasing my strength and endurance. I've given myself until the summer (around July) to meet these goals. At every opportunity I also visualize my goals and myself achieving them.

2. What happens if I get injured or sick? How do I modify my goals?

I wrote about injury recently and illness as well since it came up.

3. How do I eat to attain my goals?

The biggest change I have made in recent weeks is the removal of table salt from my diet. I wrote a post about it here. I also have some "rules" for eating that I've followed for quite some time:

1. Don't eat when not hungry
2. Stop eating when full
3. Don't add sugar to anything
4. Don't add salt to anything
5. If it wasn't food 200 years ago, it probably isn't food today
6. If it comes ready-made and frozen in a box, it probably isn't food
7. If it contains more than 8-10 grams of sugar don't eat it (total in what you are eating, not just a "serving")
8. Keep hydrated
9. Don't eat any dairy products whatsoever
10. Carefully read the label and truly understand what you are consuming if the case arises that you are going to consume any "processed" foods

4. What equipment do I have easy access to?


Fortunately, I removed all excuses of not having time to get to the gym many years ago. I invested in equipment at home and have an elliptical machine, stationary bike, Bowflex Revolution, crunch roller, exercise balls, resistance bands, and some free weights.

I also have surfboards, in-line skates, a skateboard, and plenty of golf clubs.

5. So what is my exercise routine?


I like to keep my routine anything but routine so I won't get bored.

Surfing: 3-4 times a week (average session is 2 hours)
Driving range: 2 times a week (50-75 balls in a session)
Hiking: 2 times a month (2-3 hours in a trip)
In-Line Skating or Skateboarding: 2 times a month (2-3 hours in a session)
Round of Golf: 2 times a month (walk 18 unless course requires cart use)

If there is some other activity I can get in like swimming, snowboarding, or whatever then I'll do that too. I also walk whenever possible, park at the very edge of a parking lot so that I'll have a farther walk to a destination, and take the stairs instead of the elevator when I'm going 6 or fewer floors. Moreover, for some months I will golf and hike more than twice.

3-4 times a week each:
30 minutes on elliptical
30 minutes on stationary bike
Arms: resistance bands 3 times a week; simulated paddling (as described in video at top), bicep curls (forward and side), triceps extensions, rowing
Legs: 30* leg extension, leg press, leg curl, leg lift
Core: crunches with roller and exercise ball; forward and side (for obliques); crunches with weight

Many times I'll mix in other arm and core exercises that I discover by moving the configuration around on the Bowflex. As far as days off, I will take a day off during the week but it is not necessarily the same day. Also, I will do arms and legs in the same day or stationary bike and legs in the same day. This is definitely not for everyone. I keep the "high reps, low weight" motto for the most part. That isn't to say that I won't work particularly diligently on one part of the body for one day's routine. I do try to put recovery time in there though. It's all really how I keep my routine from being boring by mixing it up.

** Here is an example of a routine for one day. **

Okay, I should really warn you about this routine also (Thanks again Mike!). I have never been able to sit still ever since I can remember. I was a very active child, involved in high school sports, and been going to the gym since my mid teens. If you are terribly out of shape or haven't exercised in a few years, I really don't think my workout is for you. Please be smart about your health and consult a professional before starting any routine. I can't be responsible for your actions and I am not a licensed professional.

Being smart about your health is also following physicians orders for injuries, visiting the physician in the first place when injured and for regular check ups, and visiting your dentist for exams and cleanings.


Okay, so what's your routine?

7 comments:

Mike said...

Thanks for posting this, Apryl. Here's the reason I asked you to do it: Like you said, I'm spending the month covering the general basics weekend athletes need to know in order to get in shape; but since my blog is specifically aimed at golf, I'm focusing on golf fitness. You, on the other hand, are getting in shape for two sports, golf and surfing, and I really want my readers to see how you do that.

I do have a couple of questions about your routine. First, do you have certain things you always try to do together, or certain things you never do together? For example, do you always do your leg workout on the same day as the stationary bike? Or maybe you never do arms and legs on the same day. And second, do you take a certain day (or two) off each week, take a random day off just when you feel like it, or never take a day off?

I realize answering these questions may take another post, but they're the kind of things that trip up a lot of people trying to get into shape.

kokogirl said...

Apryl, you have a such a good plan and such great motivation for achieving your goals! You inspire us all. And so does that chick in the video with the awesome, tight lower abs!

Apryl DeLancey said...

@Mike - thanks so much for the comment, I've gone back and added information. I'll blame my need to get to my 8:00 am PT appointment as why I didn't have that info in there.

Thanks for asking for this in the first place and I hope your readers enjoy it as well!


@kokogirl - Thank you so much! Comments like that are so motivating for me (as are the chick's abs in the video)!

Lindsay said...

Well other than walking my dog, I don't have much of a routine. I've been walking and running other people's dogs for about 5-16 miles per day every weekday and a few on the weekends. You'd think that would be great for fitness (it is!), but it is also hard on my body, and I need to start doing more cross training. When I do nothing but walk and run, my hamstrings tend to stay weaker in proportion to my quads, and then I start getting sore and worn knees. So, it's good to mix it up like you've been doing. I need to do some leg curls, biking, swimming, etc. to strengthen some other muscles. I also need to work on my upper body strength.

I've stopped adding salt to my food because of you! Also considering cutting out all dairy (won't be easy for me). Was it easy for you to cut out dairy? Why did you decide to do it?

Apryl DeLancey said...

Yay, congrats on the salt Lindsay! That's awesome and I am glad that I could inspire you to follow along.

As far as dairy, I'll give you a long answer - I've been a "vegetarian" since I was quite young and then became vegan later on. I cut out all animal products for many years (and yes, I don't wear animal products either). A few years ago I was diagnosed with a digestive issue and cannot eat processed soy products or beans so I had to re-introduce some protein. I can eat edamame but it isn't enough so you'll catch me eating some seafood.

When I was a kid, I just never enjoyed meats whatsoever. When I ditched the dairy I really felt great. To me, it just feels really good to eat right. When I was little I also couldn't see the difference between my family dog and the steak my parents were trying to feed me so it grossed me out.

People used to tell my parents that I wouldn't grow properly if I didn't eat meat. Being that I'm 5'10" I'm guessing they were quite wrong or I would have been 6'2"?

I hope that answers your question.

Lindsay said...

Thanks! Yeah, Josh and I are just starting to get a little grossed out by dairy products with all the horomones and antibiotics and everything. Yuck! And those poor cows. I'm just so used to adding cheese to everything. I think I'll at least cut way back and look at dairy products as a treat rather than something I have to eat with every meal.

Apryl DeLancey said...

Yeah, I find them to be pretty foul myself. You just don't know what you are getting unless you buy directly from a local farm. Even then, they could still put a bunch of stuff in there.

I know you can "cut the cheese" (snicker, snicker) when you put your mind to it. Good luck!