Pages

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Basketball Is For Everyone



Recently, we heard the story of Tiffara Steward, a college hoops star that is under 5 feet tall and has seemingly everything stacked against her as far as being an athlete is concerned. Someone forgot to tell her that a person with vision, hearing, and skeletal issues should not be on the court. Good for her!

I came across a story yesterday about another unlikely basketball star. Jason McElway was a student team manager for a high school basketball team in New York. This video came out in 2006 and Jason was a recipient of an ESPY award in that year. I've searched further and do not know what became of this incredible young man and can't believe I haven't heard of him sooner. I guess I just don't watch enough ESPN award shows, eh?

If you have an update please leave a comment. It would be interesting to find out what became of him. He's not listed on the current coaching roster of the school so it looks like he's moved on. The game in the video is allegedly the last one in the season of his senior year.

What other great stories am I missing?

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Tiffara Steward is amazing. I'm glad you shared her story with us. She has proven so many people wrong.

Apryl DeLancey said...

I know - I can't mention her enough!