Pages

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Wild World of Wednesday - April 30, 2008



I’m not the only one complaining about the NFL Draft coverage. I was glad to see that Fox Sports ran a story about the incessant banter and hype being absurd. Thank you. In other NFL news, Randy Moss is getting involved in NASCAR. Now there’s a sentence I never thought I’d write. I guess I underestimated what being from Mississippi will do to someone.

Pat Riley has retired as the head coach of the Miami Heat. He’ll always be that coach that led the Los Angeles Lakers to all those championship seasons to me. When I think of Riley, I can’t help but think of Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and Showtime! And as this legend retires, another returns. Larry Brown has returned to coaching. He’ll be at the helm of the Charlotte Bobcats, joining fellow North Carolina alum Michael Jordan in the organization. Speaking of Charlotte, I visited this city just before this team chose the name. I still think they should have been the Charlotte Flight since we can all see the connection with aviation easier than big cats in this state. I guess they were trying to go with the animal theme since the Carolina Panthers were already there. Either that or they couldn’t figure out what the costume for the mascot would be if they were the Flight.

By the way, does anyone know if the Dallas Mavericks’ Dirk Nowitzki is related to Sig Hansen of The Deadliest Catch?

Manchester United advance to the Champions cup final by defeating Barcelona 1-0. They will face the winner of the Chelsea v. Liverpool game in Moscow for the title. This is the first all-England final.


Today in Sports History:

1976 – Muhammad Ali defeats Jimmy Young for the heavyweight title

1994 – Soccer diety Pelé gets married for the second time

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

I'm glad you added more sports history. And I did not know Randy Moss is getting involved with NASCAR. Ha.

Unknown said...

What has Randy Moss become, ha NASCAR

Apryl DeLancey said...

Yeah - I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought the NASCAR thing was odd! I had to read it twice to make sure it was the right Randy Moss.

Oh, and I really like sports history also! I'll be featuring it more often when I can but always on Sundays and Wednesdays. Thanks for the feedback, it appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

I must say, I was thrilled that they've finally shortened the amount of time each team is on the clock. But you're right, the draft jibber jabber has gotten waaaay out of control.

Apryl DeLancey said...

I was also happy that they shortened it - it was quite a relief!