Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Wild World of Wednesday - April 16, 2008



Alright, really now, I don’t want to hear ever again that we are a bunch of nuts in Los Angeles. You crazies that are Yankees and Red Sox fans take the cake! I cannot believe how much press, time, and effort is being spent on the jersey that was buried in the concrete at the new Yankees Stadium. Apparently, the guy did it back in August. Earlier in the week, the Yankees denied it. They denied it so much that they spent the cash and time to jackhammer the alleged spot and – lo and behold – there was a David Ortiz jersey. Not only did the guy who did it think it was a joke, so did his buddies who are Yankees fans. The guy is even from the Bronx. Thank you all for reminding me that I live in a sane town.

In more respectable baseball news, yesterday was the 5th annual Jackie Robinson Day around the league. Players paid their respect by wearing the famous retired number 42 jersey and there were ceremonies everywhere.

And yes, I am still very disappointed with Andruw Jones. How much more must we endure? (note: don’t look now but he hit a double against the Pirates on Tuesday night…be still my heart…oh my, he actually hustled to catch a ball in the 9th also…could this be a change of pace…)

Even more interesting news in Dodgertown - Tommy Lasorda is having dinner with the Pope at the White House. I know there's a punchline in there somewhere...

The Los Angeles Lakers ended last night with a win, cementing their number one seed in the Western Conference and home court advantage throughout the playoffs. Sweet!

The world of golf had much hoopla since Tiger Woods did not win the Master’s tournament. I’ve heard lots of complaints from fans that didn’t want to watch because Tiger wasn’t winning. Trust me folks, as disappointing as it was that he didn’t win, Tiger Woods could never play in a tournament for the rest of his life and his lifestyle would not change. How much more money could he possibly need? Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big fan, but I see nothing wrong with new faces winning also!

Manchester United moves on to the next round in the Champions League – four games take place next week to decide the semi-finals. Man U travels to Barcelona in what should be a really great game. Wayne Rooney has been getting attention as the future captain of Man U. When I read that article I realized that I am still missing quite a bit in the sport of soccer.

The weather is getting warmer everywhere and if you tried to surf in Southern California over the weekend, you had a lot of company. The waves are not as tasty this time of year but the water is warming up so that means big babies like me can get in the water. There was a mass exodus to the Pacific in Los Angeles County over the weekend. It even took me almost 45 minutes to park in my secret spot in Santa Monica on Saturday.

The Southern California Breakers played their first game of the season on Saturday in Las Vegas. Coach Bartlett told me that they couldn’t capitalize when they needed to and lost 22-12. I’ll be covering their first home game this coming Saturday in Dana Point against the California Quake.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Ha, I agree, how much more money could Tiger need?

Apryl DeLancey said...

I do believe he is set - I'd be happy with his purse from the weekend!

Patricia Hannigan said...

I agree on the Tiger thing. I'm a huge fan too but if he wins everything it ceases to be interesting.

Apryl DeLancey said...

Thanks for stopping by and chiming in Patricia!