Pages

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Penny's Pitch Hits Ump




Alright, I normally don't post from my phone while I am at a Dodgers game but Penny threw some heat, Martin missed it, and the home-plate the ump went down. It was really scary as he fell back in what seemed like slow motion. The ambulance came on the field and they took him. Scary. Another fan that was in line for food told me that they showed it on the televisions and he got hit in the neck. I really hope he is okay. Penny was visibly shaken afterward.

Update: KABC radio reported after the game that Kerwin Danley was going to be released from the hospital tonight. Martin described it as sounding like a Tyson uppercut and apologized over and over. Danley has been involved in baseball for many years, including as a player for San Diego State. Here's to a full and speedy recovery.

The Dodgers won 11-3, with a 10 run first inning! (Apologies for the bad pic quality - I left the camera at home.)

Update: Danley has been released from the hospital as of Sunday morning. You can see his MLB bio here. It turns out that he is a Los Angeles native that attended Dorsey High. As I mentioned before, he went to SDSU and played baseball with Tony Gwynn.

May 2, 2008 Update: The Los Angeles Times speaks to Kerwin Danley about his experience. The ump claims to be doing well but still has headaches.

2 comments:

Andy Kuhn said...

any more news on how this umpire is doing?

Apryl DeLancey said...

Ah yes, he's out of the hospital now. Thanks for reminding me to update the post!