Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

What's a Srixon?



Just this past Saturday, the Roger Dunn Superstore in Santa Ana had a tent sale (they called it the Orange County Golf Show). This was an event with huge markdowns, discounted clubs, and manufacturers galore. We found some nice deals on spare gloves and shoe bags and went to try the plethora of clubs that were available to demo. Just about every club manufacturer was there including Ping, Mizuno, Callaway, Cleveland, etc. This was a much better “golf show” than the recent event in Long Beach – here you only had golf and not a surplus of timeshares and resorts trying to get your personal information so they could market to you for the next twenty years.

This was our first opportunity to try the Srixon clubs. We’ve read about them on Golf WRX and Bomb Squad Golf but hadn’t seen them at our local Roger Dunn in West L.A. Both sites have forums that speak very highly of the brand. If Srixon doesn’t sound familiar to you then you haven’t seen the commercial on the Golf Channel or other golf events with Jim Furyk talking about their balls. We got to the booth and they didn’t have left-handed demos, so my right-handed husband got to try them out. They looked great when he swung them and his opinion about them is:

I tried the Z-RW driver with the stiff shaft and it has a very solid feel. It is easily workable, very traditional, and the head does not seem oversized at all. What surprised me was the distance – the ball really flew. I also tried the 3-wood and the I-701 Tour irons. Every club felt remarkable and I would highly recommend that you check them out.

So while he was trying them out, I spoke to the rep about the company a bit. They’re from Japan and have a huge following in Australia and Ireland. He was very gracious and gave us each a free sleeve of balls and some other good information. As my husband was hitting balls, our conversation totally swayed from golf and we started talking about surfing. Lucky guy went to Costa Rica on a surf trip recently and said the waves were awesome! The tides have something like eleven foot differentials so there is some really large surf. I know, I have sports ADD but you should already realize that if you are a regular reader.

Back to golf – I heard on the radio today that the Roger Dunn in West L.A. is having a tent sale this coming weekend April 25-27. If you are in the area and the Srixon rep is there, stop in and try the clubs. You won’t be disappointed and you may also talk about surfing if that is your fancy and the same rep is there. I’m sure if you miss that event there will be plenty more opportunities over the next few weeks. This is that time of year where demo days are around almost every weekend, depending on what part of the country you live in. My email inbox is filling up lately with courses and resorts having open houses that combine demos and giveaways that are open to all.

So, I didn’t get to try out any new clubs at the show to tell you about since none of the manufacturers with new clubs that I wanted to try had them in lefty. No, not ladies, I use men’s regular flex. The irons I have now are the Callaway X-18 men’s steel regular flex. I like them just fine and hit them really well (read: straight) so I won’t be replacing them too soon in spite of them being about 18 months old. I might want to change them out if I was able to try some others. You lefties know what I mean – it’s a good thing I can hit men’s clubs or I’d really be out of luck. The available clubs and equipment for left-handed women are almost non-existent. In fact, the glove I bought that was only a few dollars was a men’s glove! I know, waaaa…

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Golf is just not my thing. I've only gone one time and boy did I suck. I even managed to get my ball stuck in a tree. Guess it just takes a lot of time and practice.

Apryl DeLancey said...

Don't feel bad - it took me over a year solid of lessons and plenty of hours at the range to be socially acceptable at golf! I am still only marginal but I have my days.

Bazaar said...

Your blog in now in list for one of my favouraite. Golf is a sport that comes with a lot of different things to attach to many other things. Everything from the clubs to the cart decorated with accessories, you will have endless options for customization. The accessories range from things that don't do any help and things that could up your game.