Pages

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Another Roger Clemens Story



So what is really going on with Roger Clemens? At first it seemed blasphemous that the Mitchell Report would name him as a steroid user. Remember that moment all those months ago? Did you say, “No way, not the Rocket!”

Next, Clemens went before Congress. He had trainers and fellow MLB players contradicting what he was saying. After a while the ruckus calmed down a bit and we all got to move on from the life and times of Roger Clemens. But just when you thought it was safe to read the sports pages again – he’s back! This time some strange allegations came from nowhere about his supposed affair with an underage country star. And not to be left out, John Daly's ex is claiming a previous affair with Clemens. Okay…

Now it is all just getting more and more ridiculous. In fact, it is to the point that everyone is coming out of the woodwork to kick Clemens while he is down. I came across a story about a party he threw back in the late 1980s at the Hard Rock Cafe. Apparently, he hung around this particular location regularly and asked them to throw this party for his wife. The restaurant did so, all for free. They have waited until now to let us all know that he didn’t tip them. Almost 20 years have gone by and now this is news.

As a matter of fact, I think I have a beef with Roger Clemens also. Back in 2001, when I was a student at the University of Tampa, I attended a Tampa Bay Devil Rays game. The Yankees were playing and Clemens was on the mound. I swear, he looked right at me and gave me a dirty look. Needless to say, I was devastated and the incident forever ruined Tropicana Field for me. As a matter of fact, I’ve been unable to watch a baseball game in person since this incident without the crippling fear of the pitcher catching my glance and returning a snarl. Darn you, Roger Clemens.



And here’s an interesting tidbit of baseball history:

May 1, 1920 – the longest game in Major League Baseball history was played. This game was 26 innings long between the Brooklyn Dodgers and Boston Braves. The final score was a 1-1 deadlock.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Wow, 26 innings is crazy!

I don't really care about Roger Clemens. There's always something with him.

Apryl DeLancey said...

I'll bet the stadium was almost empty at the end! I'd be one of the nuts sticking it out!

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Clemens either - I just find it amazing that everyone seems to be digging up everything he's ever done in his entire life and it is now news! He's the latest whipping boy for the sports world and someone new seems to be getting in the spotlight because of what he did to or with them at some point.