Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Detour Day On My Fitness Journey



Talk about unmotivated - I am seriously the epitome of it this morning.

There are a number of reasons:

* The bloodhound interrupted my sleep at 1:30 am
* It is the coldest time of year in SoCal (yes, I would shrivel up and die in the Midwest)
* I haven't been able to surf since last Wednesday
* I've been working many 12 hour days in a row
* I haven't taken a proper vacation in well over a year
* and so on...and so on...

We all have things that make motivate us. We all have things that provide roadblocks and challenges.

I know that I'll snap out of this fog and get stoked about fitness and meeting my TTUC goals again very soon. This will most likely happen tomorrow. At the very least, I know that I can surf on Saturday and that will fix a lot.

The good news - no matter how unmotivated I get, I always stick to my eating plan. I always have. Fortunately, I've never used eating as a comforting or consoling activity. In fact, I have stuck to my "no salt" goal.

How do you stay motivated?

6 comments:

Mike said...

This may sound a little silly... but no matter how unmotivated I get, I find that a good long walk helps. I may not feel like doing something strenuous, but walking almost always feels good and, before I know it, I've walked 45-60 minutes and don't feel so bad about not doing a "regular" workout. Somedays your body just needs a milder form of exercise.

And if I don't feel like walking, I'm probably coming down with something and should take the day off anyway.

kokogirl said...

I like how you said fitness journey. We have goals to help lead us to a destination, but it is the journey itself that is important. And every journey has a few "pit stops."

I also have been busy at work and with my kids. And it is cold here (another warm weather wimp).

I am with you. Let's find our motivation again!

Apryl DeLancey said...

Thanks for your encouragement you two.

When I don't exercise for two days in a row when I am not ill or have doctor's orders to relax I get antsy. That coupled with the fact the water has been unsurfable and the ranges unusable for the days I had free and you have a grouchy gal.

Whatever it takes, I am exercising in the morning. Period.

I also love a good, long walk Mike.

Good luck to you too Lisa!

Heather Kerrigan said...

Mike's advice is good. I feel the same way.

I'm starting to accept the only way I can hit balls is in the snow—but I don't like it!

Lindsay said...

Walking is something I also do when I don't feel very motivated. It's easy. It's relaxing, and of course the mutt loves to come along.

I got Josh a gym membership for Valentine's Day. I walk and run outside all the time in the winter. Him ... not so much.

Apryl DeLancey said...

Great gift for Josh! I hope he uses it.