Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Straight Down The Middle Book Review



Josh Karp sent me a copy of his book Straight Down the Middle to review and tell my golf-loving readers about.

I've got to say, his bio on the inside sleeve And webstie is one of the best I've seen. Best as in it made me smile since it is full of silly, self-deprecating humor:

Josh Karp first played golf in the 6th grade and went on to become one of the worst players on some very bad high school and college golf teams.

He does mention that he started as an 18 handicap and got down to an 11 while working on the book, so there is that bit of good news.

The rest of the book doesn't disappoint. I found it to have a wonderful sense of humor that chronicles an everyman's journey to lower his handicap. We can all relate to that one, eh? Karp's journey, however, takes and alternative way to improve his game. Zen, spirituality, visualizations, and other interesting ways to lower that score are chronicled here. The subtitle of the book says it all: Shivas Irons, Bagger Vance, and How I Leaned to Stop Worrying and Love My Golf Swing.

Yep, epic.

He tries it all. At one point he's tapping two fingers on different parts of his face and chest and then bumping his wrists together in a specific order for several repetitions to help sink a putt. It's a fun read that seems to really be telling us all to relax and enjoy the game (something I really, really need to do).

You can pick up a copy through one of the links on Josh's website that will take you to online retailers like Amazon. If you're looking for a fun gift for your favorite golfer, this makes a great buy.

No comments: