Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

5 Reasons To Volunteer For Life Rolls On



Yesterday I got to be a part of one of the most amazing experiences by volunteering for a Life Rolls On event. Their website describes them best:

Life Rolls On, a division of the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation, is dedicated to improving the quality of life for young people affected by spinal cord injury and utilizes action sports as a platform to inspire infinite possibilities despite paralysis.

The event yesterday was their flagship They Will Surf Again. I have plenty of reasons that you should volunteer your time when this event comes to a coastline near you but here are five:

1. It's Awesome. Period. You are with a group of incredibly dedicated volunteers that are all focused on one thing - sharing the stoke with someone who can't do it alone.

2. That Feeling You'll Get.
When my group took out our first surfer it was truly incredible. She was quite young, probably about 18 - 20, and completely fearless. She could not use her legs but had the most amazing upper body strength and caught about 5 waves in her heat. I was in awe of the excitement and determination in her face. Honestly, I can't adequately describe just how inspiring she was.

3. Camaraderie!
You form a group with others that you've seen around the local swells or demo days and come together for a common goal. I don't know who was more excited, the volunteers or the surfers.

4. Did I Mention Awesome? One surfer that my group took out was returning to the water for the first time. Yes, he was injured in the water in the first place. His courage was inspiring!

5. Did I Say Inspiring? I can't mention it enough. To watch the smiles on the faces of those who participate inspires and amazes. Seriously, if you can get to one of these events, you must.

No comments: