Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunday Sports Wrap - July 12, 2009



I feel like I should be in a wrap. Ugh. I don't mean to complain but I am so stiff today from just a medium bucket at the range yesterday. This has motivated me to hijack the regularly scheduled Sunday Sports Wrap post to talk about sports injuries.

My injury did not start out as a sports one but in a car accident. I got quite the case of whiplash that I knew would eventually haunt me later. Over the years, I continued to surf, waterski, swim, and other things that use my shoulders and arms so the condition exacerbated. About two years ago I found out I have degenerative discs in my neck. There is pressure put on a nerve as well that translates to my right shoulder, elbow, and hand (good thing I'm a lefty).

Golf becomes difficult as you can imagine. I've had to take several breaks in the four years that I've played because of the injury. Lately my game has really improved but the injury has decided to really flare up. The last round I played was quite evident of this - I got through the first 9 holes with an awesome score and then fell apart a bit.

What's my point? I'm not fishing for sympathy - rather I just wanted to remind all of my athlete friends out there to take care of their bodies. I'm going back to the doctor, finding a new physical therapist, and doing my stretches and exercises. This will be my third try to find a PT that can help me but I'm not giving up. Even if you don't have a recurring injury please remember to stretch and use proper form - whatever your sport.

If you need your sports history fix you can find it here and general "today in history" here. Also, In Historic is an awesome blog that is full of sports history for every day. A list of what mainstream sports are happening today can be found here.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

That sucks that you have to deal with that injury. I'm fortunate by only having to deal with an ankle issue that I know is from plain old overuse. I have to remind myself to cross train and not do the same exercise all the time. I'm really bad at stretching beforehand, too.

Apryl DeLancey said...

Thanks, yeah I try really hard not to let it hamper what I am doing. I just thought I'd remind everyone to stretch at least! You make a good point about cross-training - definitely key.

Heather Kerrigan said...

Sorry your injury is flaring up. I have a tendency to try and "play through" any injuries. Not always the best strategy.

I have a back a back injury from skating years ago. I stretch a TON before I leave for the course. That is one thing I'm really good about.

Still my back starting bothering me the other day. I stayed away from the range yesterday. I usually hit it everyday even if it's only for 20minutes.

Good reminder to take care of our bodies.

Apryl DeLancey said...

Yup - I always remind people to stretch! It makes such a difference. I had a massage yesterday so I'm hoping to be good for the weekend activities.