Pages

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sunday Sports Wrap - October 26, 2008



NFL: The San Diego Chargers are in London, England today to play the New Orleans Saints. It looks like everyone's favorite Saints blogger is there and will be posting the details of the game. How fun that must be! The stadium is ginormous compared to those we have for football in the States. I'm jealous.

MLB: The World Series continues tonight with Game 4 in Philly. The Rays are down 2-1 for now. I watched a silly segment on SportsCenter the other morning where they discussed the Philly curse. Just because a team hasn't won in 25 years, there is a curse? The Dodgers haven't won in close to 20 so are they cursed as well? I'm guessing its actually because owners of other teams spend a whole bunch of money to assure they win the titles. I can think of two in particular...

MLS: DC United are off to play the Columbus Crew and FC Dallas come to play the Los Angeles Galaxy. I can only shake my head at the latest David Beckham shenanigans. I guess I can't blame him for wanting to go sign a contract in Milan. I would probably get every ounce of money out of my career as well. My question is this - when are people going to tire of signing him for all of this money? Don't get me wrong, he's a great player but he certainly didn't do anything near what they hoped for the sport in America. He gets more attention for walking the red carpet here in Los Angeles than he does for his athletic prowess.

Today in Sports History


1863
- Soccer rules are standardized and therefore rugby starts as a separate game.

1981 - The Los Angeles Dodgers beat the New York Yankees 4 games to 2 in the 78th World Series

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Hey, cool! I didn't know when rugby became a separate game. I knew it came from soccer, but wasn't quite sure what year.

Apryl DeLancey said...

I knew you'd appreciate that one!