Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sunday Sports Wrap - October 12, 2008



Is it really mid-October? Wow! I lose track of the months (and always have) considering we don't have extremely significant weather changes or fall foliage around here. I know I'm supposed to start breaking out a jacket when World Series talk begins and it takes me by surprise every year. It was even worse in college since I was in Florida. Trust me, I'm not complaining at all. I've been in a city where it snows at sea level and that just isn't right to me. Snow belongs on the mountains that are in the distance. I know, pity me.

Anyhoo...I'll stop waffling...

MLB: The Dodgers need to step it up today. I mean seriously, how BORING would a Phillies vs. Red Sox World Series be. Do I really need to answer that? Speaking of which, I am so tired of seeing red in the Rays stadium. Stand up Tampa! I went to college there so I am in on the fact that there are a bunch of Boston transplants. I just want to know how that if Boston is such an awesome place - why did you leave? Please root for the Rays if you now live in Tampa. Have some respect. Those of you here in Los Angeles can either root for the local teams or leave as well...

NFL: I am 0-5 in one Fantasy League and in 3rd place out of 12 in another. Go figure. I'm watching the Bucs v. Panthers game today with great interest and thinking that the 49ers v.Eagles will be a good one to watch also.

Today in Sports History


1972 - The Oakland A's take the American League pennant with a 2-1 win in Game Five of the ALCS over the Baltimore Orioles. The A's Reggie Jackson steals home, but pulls a hamstring in the process which sidelines him for the World Series.

1989 - Herschel Walker is traded from the Dallas Cowboys to the Minnesota Vikings for 12 players (talk about an ego boost).

4 comments:

Doret said...

I don't blame the Red Sox fans for staying loyal elsewhere. Tampa born folk need to stand up for themselves and claim their stadium. The guys doing the game on fox suck. Now I am screaming at my tv you said that s*it yesterday. And stop explaining so many plays. This is not the SuperBowl this is the playoffs and only baseball fans watch the playoffs. I was hoping the Patriots would win today. One of my managers is a hugh fan, and its always easier on Monday's when they win. Guess I won't be requesting any books tomorrow.

Apryl DeLancey said...

That is what I am saying - stand up Tampa! I want the Tampa folk to get up and claim their stadium!

Yeah, I thought I would choke when they threw so many darn penalties today for "celebrating" or "taunting". That whole crackdown on the league is doo-doo in my opinion. It's one thing to get in someone's face, but to flag a guy for getting excited? Argh!

I hope your Monday goes well in spite of the Pats performance.

I'm watching the Dodgers now and loving it. I just hope the Phils don't have a 5 run inning and I'm good.

Lindsay said...

Ha! That is really funny how Walker got traded for 12 other guys. That just seems ridiculous.

Apryl DeLancey said...

Yeah, talk about an MVP!