Pages

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Wild World of Wednesday - October 15, 2008



MLB: Wild? Yeah, that ALCS game last night was wild alright – 13 runs for the Rays! I’m still going to only be cautiously optimistic since the lid isn’t on this one yet. The announcers don't believe the Rays will pull this out at all. They continuously mention that the Red Sox have come back in the past and hype up all of their players. They act as if playing this series is merely a formality and that it doesn't make a difference how far behind they get. I’m loving it so far though – let’s see some new teams in the World Series! Go Rays! As for my Dodgers...urgh...I can't even comment right now.

NFL: The Browns beat the Giants? Eli Manning threw a slew of picks and the whole team was on another planet. How about those games this week that were won in the last few seconds? This nutty season has me at a loss for good picks! I did enjoy the Bucs vs. Panthers game very much though. I wonder how many times in a day does John Fox bite his tongue? I bet he wishes he could just smoke cigarettes on the sidelines. I'm not certain that he does smoke, but the way he chews whatever it is in there he sure does with conviction.

Premier League: I am so grouchy that I have been unable to keep up so far this season. Right now Chelsea is on top with Liverpool. The points are very close throughout so it is entirely too early to speculate what will happen.

Today in Sports History

1987 – The NFL Players Association orders an end to the 24 day strike

1988 - With 2 outs in bottom of 9th, an injured Kirk Gibson hits a dramatic 2 run homer to gives Dodgers a 5-4 win in 1st game of World Series…we all still get chills here in Los Angeles about this

1989 - Wayne Gretzky passes Gordie Howe as NHL's all time top scorer (as a member of the Los Angeles Kings – the video above says 1990 but all other sources point to 1989 although all agree on October 15)

1995
- Annika Sorenstam wins the LPGA World Championship of Women's Golf

No comments: