Pages

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Wild World of Wednesday - March 17, 2010



Okay, I'm getting there! Apologies for the lack of content this week. I got SLAPPED by some wild bug that refused to let me out of bed until late yesterday. Usually, I can power my way through these things - but not this time. It happens. I'm not quite sure what exactly it was but it could have been a number of things. Hubby was only a little bit congested but I had full bore cold and flu symptoms. Surfing in really, really cold and stirred up water on Saturday could have been part of the problem but I can't be sure. The others in the lineup that day were kind enough to point out the hole in my wetsuit must be making me really chilly. Next winter, I vow to not be so cheap and buy a new wetsuit that fits me instead of using a men's hand-me-down.

At any rate - although I did "feed" the cold a bit on Monday I stuck to my Twitter Trip Up Challenge routine as far as eating. I added no salt in spite of how "comforting" that would have been. What I did make was a variation of the soup I always make myself when I feel a bit under the weather.

Feel Better Soup

1 medium potato
1 lg carrot
1 lg tomato
1 portabella mushroom (or portabello, if you prefer)
fresh garlic
sriracha

Bring about 2 cups of water to a boil (no, don't add salt) and add 1 diced medium potato and 1 sliced carrot. Once these are good and soft to your liking, add diced portabella mushroom. Give this a few moments to cook up the mushroom to your desired consistency and then add one whole tomato that you've liquefied in the blender along with fresh garlic and sriracha. The garlic and sriracha should be added to your taste. Bring back to a bit of a boil and it's ready to serve.

You can add more or less water, depending on how much liquid you want. I put a little more with a lot more sriracha when I'm really congested and it always makes me feel better. In addition, at times adding some fresh shrimp or other fresh seafood is quite tasty.

What's your favorite comfort food when you're a little under the weather?

6 comments:

Mike said...

I don't know if chicken is on your "allowed" list or not, but they have determined that chicken noodle soup really does have something in it that helps cure colds. (No, I can't remember what the doctors called it.) So I'd have to go with chicken noodle soup; it always seems to taste good when I'm sick.

But potatoes are always good. I group potatoes right up there with chocolate when it comes to great food! Carrots are always better raw, though.

BTW, I've always thought "Goody Two Shoes" was Adam Ant's best song. The Highwayman outfit was a neat gimmick, but only the chorus of the song is memorable. By comparison, you've got to love lyrics like "Give the judge a token, token / write it on a pound note, pound note" and "Subtle inuendos follow -- must be something inside."

(Yes, I confess... I was into Duran Duran and Simon LeBon's unintelligible lyrics.)

Apryl DeLancey said...

Thanks, as always, for your input! It's always good to have another health nut's perspective.

So, I was completely vegan until a metabolic issue made it so I can't have processed soy products or beans so I need the seafood for a little protein in my life. Other than that I can still have edamame, fortunately, but that alone should not be a person's only protein source. I'm not a supplement person either so I'm not a fan of processed protein powders. To each his own though. As for the carrots, I had some fresh carrot/beet/apple juice that I made in my juicer so putting it in the soup was all flavor and better than no carrots at all if you don't drink the juice!

P.S. "Goody Two Shoes" was okay but that was the point he really jumped the shark, metaphorically speaking. I prefer the earlier albums and "Scorpios" is my favorite of his songs. Oh, and I loves me some Duran Duran too! "Girls On Film" is my fave. Maybe that will be tomorrow's vid. Speaking of the 80's, I was jamming to my Flock of Seagulls CD this morning.

Mike said...

NOT Flock of Seagulls! I ran, I ran SOOOO far away from that group... what you need is a little Polecats. If you haven't heard them, imagine the Stray Cats infected by Devo. I only remember seeing their video, "Make a Circuit with Me," once when it came out. If you haven't seen it, it's here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA4foTap-WQ

A cheesy video for sure, but the end is funny.

Apryl DeLancey said...

I was never a Polecats fan quite honestly. To me they were more of a wanna-be Stray Cats (look) with a very NuRo/mainstream sound that didn't differentiate it from a lot of the other stuff MTV was playing at the time. I much preferred Stray Cats. Brian Setzer's solo stuff is pretty great and Reverend Horton Heat is one of the very best in the mainstream Rockabilly/Psychobilly sound. FOS have much better songs than "I Ran" also. To each his own though, eh? Diversity makes the world go 'round!

In actuality, I was waaay more in the punk scene but I love a good catchy 80s tune from Stray Cats, Duran Duran, Flock of Seagulls, The Go-Gos, and a few others that made it to the top 40 charts. You've seen my affinity for disco and some screaming hardcore or death metal or even gothy tunes as well. There aren't too many genres that I can't find something to like in! I'll listen to The Byrds, Stanton Warriors, Slipknot, Johnny Cash, The Exploited, and Donna Summer all in the same sitting.

Mike said...

I agree wholeheartedly. My musical tastes are pretty wide-ranging... it's just that I may only like a few songs from each style. For example, one day I'll be listening to Bela Fleck -- he plays electric banjo; think fusion bluegrass -- and the next day I'm rockin' Blondie. I think Jeff Healey's "Hell to Pay" album is one of the five greatest albums of all time. And Craig Chaquico, who used to be with Jefferson Starship, plays some of the coolest new age/instrumental jazz around. A little variety is always good.

BTW, if you've never heard them, here's some old Bela Fleck and the Flecktones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQfaNzrQz4M

Apryl DeLancey said...

Haha - I LOVE Blondie! The very first record that I bought with my allowance was a "Heart of Glass" 7' single. I wish I still had that! Now I've got the greatest hits CD and still listen to it.