Pages

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Having The Dodger Blues



Warning: This post is full of whining about the Dodgers. I do this every so often.

Yeah, I’m in a particularly cynical mood about the home team. Sure, they won last night against the “rival” Angels. Ho-hum. I should be excited. However, every time they play the Angels it reminds me how different these teams turned out.

Years ago, the Angels were really an afterthought in Los Angeles. They played at the Ravine, they were called the California Angels, they moved around, etc. It seems like it took the team a long time to gain a real identity. Meanwhile, the Dodgers were THE team in Los Angeles. Heck, we have Tommy Lasorda and Vin Scully in the mix. How can you go wrong with that sort of history? No matter how long it has been, I just can’t seem to get over the fact that the Angles have had more success in recent years. Don’t get me wrong, it’s great to have champions in Southern California. I just wish it was my team.

Let’s get one thing straight also – they are NOT in Los Angeles. I know this is a hard concept for some people to get, but Anaheim and Los Angeles are not right next to each other nor are they the same place. Depending on where you start, they are at least 25 miles apart and in two different counties. In addition, the culture of each county is quite different. I’ve harped on that more than once. I don’t have anything against OC, I’m just a Los Angeles native. The video I have with this post is a bit silly since it makes it seem like the Angels are here in Los Angeles. Yes, it makes Dodgers fans cringe. I’m sure the national audience is amused though. I can’t imagine what people who have never been here picture…

Anyhoo, back to complaining about the Dodgers…I’m on the team’s email list like any good fan should be and have been for years. I remember the newsletter used to talk about discounts for upcoming games, player appearances, and other team news. It seems like now I only get more opportunities to part ways with my money and plenty of it. Coming up today is a family fun 70’s Luncheon at the stadium where you can stand in line all day in the sun to get an autograph from former players for only $75. On the 4th of July, there’s a nifty event at the Hollywood Bowl with the Dodgers. I’m not sure how bringing out a few people associated with the team makes this a fireworks show worth the $12 - $149 ticket price. In all fairness, the email newsletter title was “Save up to 60% against the Angels this Sunday”. Yay, I get to sit at the top for $10.

Alright, so my beef is this – why can’t we have a team that wins? That’s all I ask. There’s plenty of revenue to have a real team. Why not do it. Imagine how much more money the fans will shell out if Los Angeles gets a World Series title!

Alright, whining and bitterness is out for now. Tune in tomorrow where I should be back to normal.

No comments: