Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Dieting On A Budget



My incredibly talented and handsome younger brother asked me to help him figure out how to bring his lunch to work so that he can save money and eat in a healthy manner.  This sprouted from a status update that I had posted about living simply.

As a goal for 2012, I decided that I would try to live with more simplicity.  I was tired of $10-$30 lunches and $20-$50 dinners.  There was no reason I couldn't bring my lunch to work and cook dinner for myself every night at home.  Also, stocking up on my favorite adult beverages is much more cost efficient that going out to enjoy them.

This year, I want to spend more time being active outdoors that isn't eating & drinking at a restaurant with a patio.  I'd rather be surfing, skating, biking, or running.

At any rate, I've been succeeding at my goal so far.  Talented and handsome brother wants some ideas on how he can live with more simplicity and save money on lunch.

After searching for something that was both easy enough for him to fix before he went to work that was cost efficient, I came up with this first sack lunch for him:

1 PBJ  Sandwich = 385 Calories

Carrot Sticks - 7 sticks have only 35 calories!

1 Medium Green Apple = 80 Calories

12 Almonds = 80 Calories

For those of you that count calories, this meal is 580 calories.  Not bad for someone that has 3 meals a day that tries to stick to a 2000 or less per day calorie intake.

Personally, I eat lots more calories than that but I am incredibly active.  Incredibly active as in I surf at least an hour a day and then either skate for an hour or run for an hour or both.  I might even bike for an hour.

A few tips for you that don't exercise this much:

Chew your food - don't eat as if you are in a race.

Water is your best friend!  The body often mistakes thirst for hunger so if you think you're hungry you should first drink a tall glass of water.

Celery, carrots, and apples are your best friends.  Keep an extra stash of these in your lunchbox to combat the 10:00 am and 3:00 pm hunger pangs when water doesn't cut it.

Do not drink soda under any circumstances.  Not even diet.

Ditch the chocolate.

Park just a little bit farther and take those extra steps.

Stand up from your desk at least hourly.  Have a stretch or a walk around your building (or whatever takes about 10 minutes).

Stay tuned for more recipes as I try to help my talented & handsome brother reach his goals.

Any suggestions?  Leave us a comment.

1 comment:

Apryl DeLancey said...

I'm so glad you liked them! Stay tuned - there are more to come!