Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Rally for Girls’ Sports Day 2010



All around the web today there are many blogs participating in the Rally for Girls’ Sports Day 2010. The topic for most all is:

What do you win by playing sports?

I have a very recent example of what I win by participating in sports, although I am not a young girl.

Before I get to that, I will tell you that when I was in the 5th grade I played football with the boys. Not only did I win a spot on that team, but confidence. My parents never told me that I wasn't supposed to do that. In fact, they allowed me to do whatever sport I wanted.

I played sports, organized and otherwise, for my entire childhood and now as an adult. As a result, I am much healthier and more fit than many of my peers.

So back to that recent example: as you know if you've read this blog before, I surf. I surf as much as possible. Recently I won a 2nd place award in a surf competition. This was the first time someone had really acknowledged that they thought I was good at something I love so much as an adult. It really became a pivotal moment in my surfing of late. I am much more confident and I've let go a lot of little fears that were holding me back (like getting older, nagging injuries slowing me down, blah, blah, blah). My ability has taken off quite well - almost as if I was in my early 20s again (well, close).

What have you won by playing sports?

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I've won the ability to work hard at something without giving up. Some of the people I know who never participated in sports growing up seriously do not know how to push themselves in other aspects of life.

I guess sports also teach us how to lose and be OK with it. And to keep on trying.

Apryl DeLancey said...

Great points, thanks for sharing!