Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

The Right Board Makes A Big Difference



I finally got back into the water this weekend after nearly a month without and it felt great! I really needed that. I kept up okay and was generally pleased with my sessions.

Since the last time I was in I have thinned out the quiver significantly. Well, by 66%. I used to have three boards and I'm down to one. The intent was to sell the two I was tired of and buy a very nice one with the proceeds. The sale of the two is complete (Thanks Rider Shack!) and now I'm shopping around for another.

The board I'm down to is a 6'8" epoxy that is considered a "fun" shape. It's a bit thicker than a "normal" short board, a bit rounder, and floats very well. There are several spots around me where this is the perfect board to use but many more where the summer mush requires something more substantial.

Yesterday I went to one of those mushier spots. Yes, I knew what I was getting into. I opted to give it a go rather than waiting to get in. I really didn't catch much with my board and ended up switching up with a friend for a few sets. That was awesome and a great time was had by all. The spot we were surfing was especially wonderful yesterday.

During the week I'll probably hit one of the spots more suited to the board I have left and continue the search for my perfect replacement. I'm really looking for something that is in the 7'6" to 7'8" range, about 22" - 23" wide, and close to 3" thick. You know, something that will ride just about anything around here.

No comments: