Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sunday Sports Wrap - June 19, 2009



I'll spare everyone the whole whining about injuries thing this week and get closer to the usual posts. I've been toying with the idea of changing things up a bit for the Sunday Sports Wrap. The premise started as a summary of sporting events that were happening during the NFL off season. I was inspired by a group of friends that groaned there was nothing to watch on Sundays in the world of sports without the NFL. I disagree. More on that later (and I'm always happy to hear suggestions).

Here's a bit of what I saw today:

The Open:: Who says golf is boring without Tiger Woods? Don't get me wrong - I have no problem with the world's number one but the finish to the Open today was awesome! The announcers would not stop talking about Tom Watson's age. At 59 he's not your average Tour player. Since Thursday we heard about him atop the leaderboard. By Sunday, everyone had forgotten that Tiger missed the cut. Watson has won this event 5 times before over the years but this time was not to be. A blown last hole and playoff with Stewart Cink left him as number two for this one. I'm sure it is a bit hard to swallow. He's got nothing to be ashamed of. I am quite fond of how he showed that age is just a number and just because he is old enough to be a grandfather, he is still a competitor. Seriously, people that are not in their 20s are viable competitors. I just wonder when the media will catch on to that.

History was made in the event, however - Stewart Cink has captured his first win in a major. Congratulations to him!

Speaking of history - get your sports history fix here and here.

One more thing
- the US Open of Surfing is still happening here in SoCal through next Sunday, July 26.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

You'd think with a sport like golf, people would only get better as they get older. More experience! I'm always happy to see athletes older or much older than the norm.

Apryl DeLancey said...

I know, right? Someone in their 20s may be in a better physical shape but there is a lot to be said about experience.