Pages

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Know Your Limitations



In every sport one should understand limitations. The body can only take so much and before you know it you could be in real trouble. Sure, I've been out golfing in Palm Springs...in July...in 114-degree weather. I was completely prepared, though. I had ample water, light clothing that covered my skin, hat and sunglasses, snacks, and sunscreen. This is not something everyone should do. I also would not do it if my tee time was after 9:30 am.

One thing that is important to note in the above example is that I've always lived in warm climates. As a Southern California native that went to college in Florida, cold is not something I experienced regularly. Well, at least not Northeast or Midwest cold. In college I even worked outside in the Florida heat most every day.

One place it is especially important to know your limitation is in the water. Specifically, surfing in high waves. After spending my college years in the Gulf of Mexico, returning to the Pacific was a bit of a shock at first. Not only did it feel like I was in fresh water but I wasn't used to the power anymore.

I guess I am getting really cautious in my "old age". When I hit the beach now I never surf alone and always check in with the lifeguard. It just makes sense.

Unfortunately, not everyone has escaped the monster swell we are having in SoCal this week. I am headed out to the beach myself today - not to Wedge - and will definitely respect my limitations.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I don't handle the heat well. I would much rather run in the cold. I totally cover myself in sunscreen every day, and my friends make fun of me and call me White Lindsay.

Apryl DeLancey said...

You'll be the one laughing when you have beautiful skin in your 50s, 60s, etc!