Pages

Saturday, July 4, 2009

"Is This A Sport?" Revisited - Competitive Eating



Last year I pondered whether competitive eating was a sport and many of you weighed in. I figured we'd revisit the topic. Here's some fun links about competitive eating and the famous Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest:

Read about competitor Crazy Legs Conti - the opening paragraph is priceless:

Competitive eater Crazy Legs Conti is talking to me about complexities surrounding the sports. He's telling me how heat and humidity can cause a hot dog frank to expand and contract. He's describing how not everyone's mandibles work in the same way and comparing the competitive eating circuit to Jack Kerouac's "On the Road."

Check out In Historic with a post about the takedown of Kobayashi.

Also, this article brought to my attention that you can watch the 2009 contest on ESPN 360. If it's on ESPN then it is almost really a sport, eh?

1 comment:

Doret said...

Competitive eating is not a sport. Sit waiting for someone to declare yelling at the players on the field an art form or a sport. I would love to see that contest. I pretty sure the finals would come down to a west vs. east coast