Pages

Monday, July 27, 2009

5 Questions That Don't Seem To Matter



Okay, maybe I have just been in a critical mood lately. Over the last two weeks I am just starting to wonder if anyone is "normal" anymore. By "normal" I mean not rude or hateful toward others.

Last week I talked about the words of encouragement I have received from fellow golf and surf enthusiasts. This sort of thing seems to happen outside of sports with more frequency as well.

Over the weekend I was at an outdoor event. This is the type of event where you bring a blanket, cooler, and relax. I had a great time and packed up to leave when it was over. As I was knelt down folding up my blanket something hit me in the back of the head pretty hard. As I'm saying something to the effect of, "What the heck?!" a couple stops in front of me. The guy very angrily says "sorry" and the woman says "You'll get over it".

What the heck is going on? You hit me with your chair and I'm the jerk? What!? Am I insane or missing something here?

So here are my five questions. No one needs to answer them. I am just ranting because I am truly appalled at my once fun and friendly community that I live in is now filled with cynical jerks that believe the world is theirs to crap all over. I most definitely appreciate having an outlet to rave on like a crazy person about this.

1. What happened to common courtesy?


I understand that times are tough and people are losing their jobs, homes, and basic ways of life in record numbers. Why add to that and make the world an even crummier place to live by having a bad attitude toward people you don't even know?

2. Why so selfish?

It really feels like the old "do unto others" is dead, buried, and brought back as a horrible zombie. It evolved into "treat others as they want to be treated" for a brief moment before turning into "treat others as you think they deserve to be treated because everyone is your doormat".

3. How hard is it to smile?

Seriously! Smile at people and you'll find the world is a brighter place all around.

4. How did you become so important?


On the golf course, the waves, or in line at the off-ramp...how did you suddenly become the most important person on the planet? Apparently, you are the busiest of anyone around and no one can possibly come before you. We must all bow to your greatness.

5. Is it that hard to just be civil?

The people who ran into me over the weekend didn't need to stop and fawn all over me. A simple and sincere apology that was devoid of rude comments and a smile would have gone a long way. They probably went home feeling great about themselves since they were able to cause someone discomfort...oh, wait...they probably went home to their miserable lives wondering why everyone is trying to screw them over.

These are interesting, scary, and difficult times we live in to say the least. Why make it worse? Whether in sports or life you'll find that things are easier when approached with just a touch of class and self-control.

Thanks for listening!

6 comments:

T.J. said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who notices this. My favorite is people on the freeway. "Just because you don't want to wait, doesn't mean you deserve to go off-roading and make the traffic jam even worse. Oh, and the carpool lane IS for cars where there are more than one person sitting in it."

Apryl DeLancey said...

Yeah - people do in their cars what they'd never do in line at the bank or store. Could you imagine?

Jan said...

I think you just live in the wrong place. This is not the experiences I have with people. I read about barbaric behavior and just glad I don't live among it.

Apryl DeLancey said...

I don't think it is the place - when I was in college and grad school in the South I have true tales of horror about how people were treated (including myself). My hometown used to be the kind of place where you met new friends in line at the grocery store and could find courteous people that let you over when you had your blinker on. I think it is more a sign of the times. It was never like this until the last few 2 or 3 years.

Lindsay said...

What I don't get is how bad customer service is. It amazes me how long a business can ignore me when I'm standing right there. Even an "I'll be with you in just a moment" and a smile would be appreciated, but that doesn't happen often. With a bad economy, businesses should treat every customer like royalty!

Apryl DeLancey said...

Oh, I know! It doesn't matter if it is on the phone, the internet, or in person - customer service seems to be dead.