Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Wild World of Wednesday - February 25, 2009



Thanks to Katharine in the U.K. for today's first two gems:

First British Women: Nicola Minichiello and Gillian Cooke are celebrating becoming the first British women to win gold at the Bobsleigh World Championships. The last Brits to take gold in bobsleigh were Anthony Nash and Robin Dixon back in 1965. The video today is not of the Brits but another women's team (Bobteam Kamphuis) in 2008.

More Confident British Women
: Captain Charlotte Edwards and her team are confident that they will make the final for the Women's Cricket World Cup. The favorites are the Australian team but England is fit and ready for them. This will be the 4th World Cup for Edwards who is the current ICC Women's Player of the Year. She proclaims that a Cup victory would surpass any individual honor. After the previous losses it is easy to fathom why she is keeping focused on the victory. The eight-team tournament will be staged from March 7-22.

WPS: The WPS unveiled their new uniforms by Puma. Puma is definitely one of my favorite clothiers and it is nice to see them in women's soccer! The jerseys have some very appealing color combos. My local team, the Los Angeles Sol, are hosting a free public event on March 8th. Watch out for this team as three time FIFA Player of the Year, Marta Vieira da Silva, leads a very talented squad.

Today in Sports History

1951 - Babe Didrikson-Zaharias wins Orlando 2 Ball Golf Tournament

Happy Birthday to Brian Urlacher and Jeff Fisher

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Those soccer uniforms are hot! I want one.

What's your opinion on skorts? I don't own one, although I don't really see anything wrong with them as long as the players don't mind wearing them. I wouldn't want to play soccer in one, but I've thought about getting one for running. I just think they are cute.

Apryl DeLancey said...

I do like well-made skorts. I'm partial to the kind that have the skirt on both the front and back with the side slit and the shorts underneath. I see them in golf quite frequently. They are also quite comfy in the right material and very cute!